Rusty metal + scrap wood =
New table for me!
New table for me!
Early last month, while visiting around blogland, I found the most fabulous table over at Flea Market Trixie. Now I've always had a thing for junk, but since then I've been looking at metal junk in a whole new way - looking for things that I could breathe new life into for the house.
While plundering around in my father-in-laws barn last week, I happened upon a rusty metal box thingy that my hubby drug home years ago. It has lived in the in-law's barn since we moved back to our hometown - about five years ago. Home with me it came! I had no clue what I would do with it, but I did know that it had potential. I considered painting something on it and hanging it on the wall, and I thought about hanging it as a shelf, but I finally settled on using it as a table-top. Here's what I started with:
When I told my hubby what I planned on doing, he thought I was plain goofy. I, however, thought it was a fabulous idea and was fully prepared to construct the table myself if I had to. Luckily, I didn't have to!
My brother-in-law showed up about the time I was dragging in 4x4s from our barn. He seemed agreeable to helping, so I got out of the whole, measuring-drilling pilot holes-using electric screwdriver thing. I pretty much just told him what I wanted and handed him things as needed. Can't beat that, can you? (My hubby just shook his head at us & went to cook supper, since I was so excited about starting my project that I neglected to feed anyone.)
After just a little while, we had a table!
Then it was time to paint it. First, I took the top off and cleaned it well, then sprayed on some clear sealer.
Since all the wood was recycled, I ran the mouse sander over it quickly to knock down any rough spots. I also rubbed some wax over the red paint so that it would show through when I distressed it. Then it was time for the paint. I had some good help!
It took two coats of paint to cover it well, and then I rubbed on some stain to darken it up and highlight the dents and dings. It really turned out brighter than I had intended, so I applied the stain twice, leaving it on longer the second time before I wiped over it. I sanded the edges a good bit, and also sanded it to expose some red paint. I then rubbed stain over the newly distressed areas to darken them up. After it dried for a couple of hours, I screwed the top back on and called it finished.
My love, who thought this was a silly idea, still says he has no opinion on my table, but I love it!
Linking up to: