I started with half of a wooden thread spool that I found. After painting it black and threading some twine through it for a hanger, I just started layering on whatever I could find. I wrapped it with burlap first, then cut that into strips and pulled out the bottom strings to make it fringe-y. Then I added some fabric from an old curtain and ribbon left over from making hair-bows. I didn't have a clue how to finish it off, so I just coiled twine around the top, hot-gluing as I went.
I've been admiring cute tassels in blogland for a while now, but I never really thought I could do it. I didn't follow all the rules on this, but it was an easy one to get started on. I think I'll be trying another one soon - it was fun!