Wednesday, February 10, 2010

DIY Hanging Monogram

Over the last few days, I've been working on a little project to fill the empty space above our bed. Today I finished it up.


I had everything I needed to put this together, so it didn't cost a thing! I started with an old painting that I bought years ago with the intention of transforming it into a Ballard-type bulletin board. So much for that....
After popping the canvas out, I brushed a little black craft paint over the frame to tone down the gaudy gold a bit. Then I stretched a grubby old sheet over the canvas to cover the painting. I just stapled it to the frame in the back, pulling it tightly as I went. Then I did the same with a piece of white burlap - pulled it over the frame & stapled.

After I decided what font to use & got my sizing right, I printed off the letters and did a little measuring to center them up on the canvas.


It was at this point that I figured out that my plan to print out my monogram on an iron-on wasn't going to work. Why? Because my printer's acting like a piece of junk. So I just rolled with it - I cut the letters out & traced around them with a marker.


Then I got to work filling in with my craft paint. It took a few coats to cover it well. I'm loving the result!


While you're in my bedroom, let me show you my new find - a perfectly shabby turquoise table the I found (in a shed, covered in greasy grime) Friday at an estate sale. 



I love, love, LOVE  this table!

****This project was inspired by Little Big Nest.**** 
Thanks for the idea!  

Linking to:

Monday, February 1, 2010

Thrifty tassel

Today's post is going to be a quick one - I just want to show off the tassel I made. I initially made this to hide some ugly (an exposed screw after I hung a chalkboard), but it didn't work for that so it's just hanging around being cute.

I started with half of a wooden thread spool that I found. After painting it black and threading some twine through it for a hanger, I just started layering on whatever I could find. I wrapped it with burlap first, then cut that into strips and pulled out the bottom strings to make it fringe-y. Then I added some fabric from an old curtain and ribbon left over from making hair-bows. I didn't have a clue how to finish it off, so I just coiled twine around the top, hot-gluing as I went.

I've been admiring cute tassels in blogland for a while now, but I never really thought I could do it. I didn't follow all the rules on this, but it was an easy one to get started on. I think I'll be trying another one soon - it was fun!